A beneficial air purifier buying guide will help you identify which air cleanser suits you. Some air purifiers are superb for starters although not another. Some technologies work and some try not to. Our air cleaner buying guide shall help you identify what to watch out for and support you in finding the right air cleanser to meet your needs.
FAQ about Air Cleaner:
- Air cleanser buying guide – what things to consider
- Air cleanser buying guide – must haves
- Air purifier buying guide – nice to have
- Air cleanser buying guide – maybe
- Air purifier buying guide – do not touch
- Air purifier buying guide – other factors to consider
Air cleanser buying guide – things to consider
First thing to consider before buying an air purifier is exactly what you want to utilize the air cleanser for. Whether you need to lessen your allergy or asthma symptoms, remove tobacco smoke or dust through the air or simply would you like to create a more healthy indoor environment – a good air purifier is frequently the best/only proper solution for airborne contamination. With their capability to take the broadest range of pollution from the air, home air cleaners are an ever increasingly popular household item. Air purifier buying guide – Common concerns and symptoms:
- Dust Mite
- Removing Dust
- General Quality Of Air
- Traffic Pollution
- Pet Dander
- MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)
- Cigarette Smoke
Air purifier buying guide – must haves
HEPA Electronic Home Air Cleaners
- Certain things are considered ‘must haves’ for a great air cleanser. A fruitful air purifier has, for instance, the appropriate filters to eradicate or significantly lower the types of pollution at home that you will be concerned with. The air cleaner may also have to be in a position to complete the right wide range of air changes within the room you are planning to make use of it in. Unfortunately, an enormous majority of air cleanser manufacturers are wilfully misleading in regards to the performance of their electronic home air cleaners. Things such as for instance filtration efficiency, quantity of air flow, noise level and what kinds of pollution the air cleaner can cope with are often obfuscated by many manufacturers – either as they do not know much about air purification or as they do not want you to know the reality concerning the performance of their product. What filtration efficiency, airflow and sound pressure you’re looking for, or is right for you, is dependent upon your particular concern. We are going to discuss each performance indicator in the section below in more detail.
Air cleanser buying guide – nice to possess
Some features of an air cleanser are not absolutely necessary, but can be considered ‘nice to haves’. A filter life indicator is, as an example, a tremendously useful feature to possess. The filter life indicator will notify you as soon as the filters have to be changed. Replacing the filters in the required time will ensure the air purifier is performing since it should and protects the fan from being damaged.
- Unfortunately, there isn’t any decent air cleanser this is certainly small adequate to easily fit into the palm of your hand and certainly will be carried around easily. Why not? Well, there are limits to your physics of what exactly is possible. You will not expect a washing machine the size of a toaster to help you to accomplish a proper load of laundry. Similarly, you ought not expect an air purifier the size of a toaster in order to maneuver enough air to be able to properly purify an averaged size room. Casters often helps ensure it is significantly simpler to move your air cleanser around the house, particularly if you have a unit that will handle considerable amounts of air. Handles are also useful, because it allows you to easily lift the system from a single room to another.
Handheld Remote Control
- Enables you to easily control and change the settings associated with air purifier from an appropriate distance, increasing accessibility.
- Unfortunately, we come across it all the time that even the big companies with household names make air purifiers without providing a warranty for how long it is possible to buy replacement filters. When the unit is not selling well any longer, or they feel it is the right time to “upgrade” it and alter its looks and features, the model plus the production of the replacement filters for it are discontinued.
- Turning the system off and on during times during the the day/week, lets you save energy and prolong the filter life.
Multiple Fan Speeds
- Alter the speed setting to your preference, to fit your indoor pollution level or sound preference.
Air purifier buying guide – maybe
- Ionic home air cleaners are marketed to be quiet and efficient; however, additionally they have a tendency to release ozone into any room, not making them perfect for everyone.
Air purifier buying guide – usually do not touch
- Keep clear of electronic home air cleaners which can be straight up ozone generators. These units produce considerable amounts of ozone by design and form a significant threat to your wellbeing.
- Some home air cleaners use a filter density referred to as Ultra-Low Particulate Air (ULPA), claiming that is superior to HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air). These filters drastically reduce airflow and also as such limit the performance associated with the air purifier.
Incineration and Combustion
- This type of filter technology will not take pollution from the air, but quite simply burns it. Burning dust along with other pollution in the air does not directly result in cleaner air… also, whilst incineration does not enable you to move quite definitely air quickly – an integral requirement for any decent air cleanser.
Air cleanser buying guide – other factors to consider
- Any air cleaner you buy in the UK should come with a 2 year warranty; some air cleanser manufacturers attempt to sell you additional extended warranty or you will need to get your contact details in substitution for additional warranty. Make sure to check what the warranty covers, such as motor/ fan, display, other electrical components and labour. Consumables, such as for example filters are normally not covered by an air purifier warranty. Also, make sure to verify that customer action will void the warranty. Most warranties will as an example only apply to the initial purchaser for the unit and will not transfer to subsequent owners.
- As you can see through the table below, different concerns require different filtration efficiencies. The higher filtration efficiencies are accomplished by HEPA or HyperHEPA filtration (provided that it pertains to the whole system filtration efficiency and not soleley a ‘theoretical’ filter efficiency) whilst lower filtration efficiencies are achieved from using filters with a lowered filtration efficiency such as for instance ‘HEPA-like’ or ‘HEPASilent’ filters. It is extremely common that manufacturers do not display the actual filtration efficiency regarding the air cleanser in general, but only provide customers with a misleading theoretical filtration efficiency. If ionisation is used it is worthwhile to know that the filtration efficiency will decrease the more polluted the collection surface/filter gets. The performance associated with unit can drastically decrease because of this. Furthermore, if the unit is not leakage free, the degree of leakage will increase as the filters become more loaded too, further decreasing efficiency. Thus, some ionisers could have a top filtration efficiency to start with but after some time the filtration efficiency will gradually decrease.
- The noise level will be different depending on the speed setting the unit will be used on. It’s important to consider your noise tolerance, and take into consideration where in actuality the air cleaner will likely be used. All proper air purifiers will produce some standard of noise; depending on the speed setting the unit has been used on. However, you ought not compromise the cleaning performance of this unit for the comfort of reduced noise levels. An admirer that is too small or that is moving too slowly is almost certainly not pushing enough air to correctly filter the air within the room it really is getting used in. A very important factor to be skeptical of is if manufacturers are not specifying the noise level on different speed settings of the air cleanser. It really is unfortunately quite common for many manufactures to advertise their air cleaner only regarding the noise standard of the quietest settings. Depending on the technology used, some electronic home air cleaners are quiet at first but become noisier the more used the filters are. If the filters are loaded, then your unit will emit more noise because the unit is working significantly harder, trying to pull air through the filters. To find out more about assessing the noise quantities of an air purifier visit our Blog post Quiet Air Purifier
- Online investigation can be helpful; however, it is often difficult to say how liable a source really is. Some sites are not particularly experienced in air purification. Some formerly independent review sites have been bought by air cleanser manufacturers, and today attempting to promote their own products because the best. Here is a summary of sites that do independent air cleanser testing:
- Consumer Search
- Consumer Reports
- Best Buy
To see overview of some of the best air cleaner testing sites, visit our air purifier reviews on site: air cleanser reviews
- Regularly maintaining an air cleanser is very important to ensure the unit is working effectively. To have maximum performance from the air cleanser you will have to replace the filters regularly. You ought to find out of the cost and average life span of each and every filter before purchase. However, keep in mind that actual filter life will greatly depend on usage and contamination levels. Be skeptical of home air cleaners which require very frequent filter replacements. Also look out for air purifiers which require you to clean/or wash the filters.
- The manufacturer’s reputation is an important deciding factor, because the connection with past customers deserves some consideration. Some manufacturers and items are highly respected in the air purifier industry for a reason, building their portfolio over time through products which work and providing great customer care. You will definitely always find manufacturers who make various claims about their products or services but have very little to aid these claims.